|Image Credit: Michael Loccisano|
source: Inside Movies
Nora Ephron has left a legacy of memorable quotes from the movies that we all love, "When Harry Met Sally," "Sleepless in Seattle," "You've Got Mail," and the most recent one "Julie and Julia." She was a journalist, writer, playwright, filmmaker, and a three-time Oscar nominee. Ms. Ephron passed away on June 26 at a hospital in New York, after a battle with acute myeloid leukemia.
Most of you have seen her movies and remember her wit, sage life wisdom, and an amazing sense of humor that her characters demonstrated in their conversations. Let's remember some of them:
|Image Credit: Orlando Tineo|
Source: Inside Movies
- "When Harry Met Sally:" "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
- "When Harry Met Sally:" "All I'm saying is that somewhere out there is the man you are supposed to marry. And if you don't get him first, somebody else will, and you'll have to spend the rest of your life knowing that somebody else is married to your husband."
- "You've Got Mail:" "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms."
- "You've Got Mail:" "When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does."
- "You've Got Mail:" "People are always saying that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened."
- "You've Got Mail:" "The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino."
- "Sleepless in Seattle:" "When a man is a widower why do we say he was widowed? Why don't we say he was widowered?"
- "Sleepless in Seattle:" "Annie, when you're attracted to someone, it just means that your subconscious is attracted to their subconscious, subconsciously. So what we think of as fate is just two neuroses knowing that they are a perfect match."
- "Sleepless in Seattle:" "[giving Annie an engagement ring] It was my grandmother's. I had them size it down. She had really fat fingers."
- "Sleepless in Seattle:"
"Co-Worker: It's easier to be killed by a terrorist than it is to find a husband over the age of 40!
Annie: That statistic is not true!
Becky: That's right it's not true, but it feels true."
I'm obviously biased and I love the movies listed above, but there're many more Nora Ephron's quotes out there that make me smile. I hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for staying in touch!
PS: For the last several years Nora Ephron wrote a column at the Huffington Post. Her writing is witty, memorable, and brilliant, as always. You can read more here.